Friday, January 02, 2009

Freezing weather

Due to temperatures below 0 for nearly a week now, outside icerinks were ready to take on skaters a few days ago. In the distance you see the icerink we are a member of.Of course those who live in the area come by bike.The iceclub is very happy with their new wooden house which is now in use for the first time. This icerink is one of the biggest in the area. I think it looks lovely in this perfect skating weather.The last time it was possible to skate I went on the ice with a broom. But this year I don't really feel like skating because I seem to be more afraid of falling and hurting myself. So we enjoyed ourselves by walking around it.

7 comments:

June said...

Outdoor ice rinks...how wonderful! I'm not a skater, so wouldn't know if we still have these left in the U.S. Hope so...

Anonymous said...

Hoe is het? Heb jij ook al op de schaatsen gestaan?

Frances said...

As always beautiful selections for the Hunt.
Your oil balls look suspiciously like the zeppoles grandma used to make.
Happy 2009
Frances

Wade said...

It looks like fun skating out there! Have a great 2009, and wishing you all good health, peace, love, and joy. Be careful on the ice!

Aileni said...

We aren't that cold but cold enough. Do folk still skate on the canals ?

Carin said...

Aileni, I think you mean the canals in Amsterdam and I think they would skate there if it is possible. I live in the East of Holland next to the German border and today I saw see people skating everywhere. On streams and small rivers too. But it remains dangerous. In fact just a few minutes ago I heard the news saying that the firebrigade will charge people who have to be helped out of the ice. They have given enough warnings and if people don't listen they will have to pay.

dawn said...

This was just so interesting because we have such frigid temperatures here and there is snow everywhere so we need to drive to an outdoor rink (unless we make our own). It is a very large rink and looks lovely to skate on.