Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Crazy square"

This is what my family has always called "crazy square" in Victoria, Gozo. In Dutch "het gekke pleintje". And you know why? Well when we just lived in Gozo in January 1975 my mum wanted to buy meat and she asked some people she knew where we could buy good quality meat. They send us to a butcher on this square and when we entered the little butcher's shop we saw half pigs and other meat hanging on all sides, chickens whose feathers had only be picked half, etc. In fact a butcher that was so very different from the ones we knew back home in Holland in those days, that us kids really got a shock when we saw all this. So from that day onwards we always talked about the "crazy square" in our family.

This is the story I also told my kids when we walked over that square a few weeks ago. It was so much fun telling them about all my experiences when living on these islands. My time there was great. Funny that you always appreciate such things much more when living elsewhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

De karbonade was heerlijk beter dan in Nederland .Heb ze eerst goed onder de kraan gehouden .Wat een tijd ik had het niet willen missen .Liefs Mam.

June said...

Looks like a movie set...in fact, I'm sure I've seen that church! :-) As for appreciating places after the fact...I think it has more to do with it being a different time than a different place...

Paz said...

LOL! I like the name you gave the square. ;-) Fun to share your memories with your children.

Paz