Thursday, October 23, 2008

Maltese food

Kinnie is a typical Maltese drink and whenever I am in Malta I always drink this drink. Nice and cool it is really delicious. It has a bitter sweet flavour and is a very good thirst quencher.

Besides kinnie Malta has some special things that I like eating. First of all there is timpana, a pastry covered baked macaroni. On our first evening in Malta we had a piece and it tasted really good. When we used to live in Gozo my mum never baked it herself but Gozitan friends of ours would bake it for us if we asked them to. We never could make it like the Maltese do.
Another Maltese snack I had when in Malta is this pastry filled with dates. I will never forget that sweet smell for it will always bring back memories of having to wait for the bus on my way back to Gozo. In Valletta near the bus terminus there used to be a little street vendor selling it. When in Valletta I didn't have to look very hard to see if they still sell them for I just had to follow my nose. Mmmmmmm it tasted so good!
Also cheesecakes (pastry filled with ricotta) are one of my favourites when in Malta. We had one nearly every afternoon and even my family liked them.
There is much more typical Maltese food that I love to eat when back in Malta. This holiday I didn't eat Lampuki but I did eat Swordfish. What better place to eat fish then near the sea.

We also had Twistees (baked crisp savoury snack made from rice and corn grits), treacle ring shaped pastries (a light pastry with a filling made of treacle, semolina, citrus zest, cinnamon and cloves), Krustini (typical Maltese bicuits) and Galetti (Maltese water crackers) that taste so good with a little butter. To make the holiday last a little longer we brought back home these last mentioned things though I can say they taste much better when in Malta.

There is much more delicious typical Maltese food to eat so if you read this and ever go to Malta try the Maltese dish and enjoy it as much as I do.


6 comments:

Paz said...

The pastries look and sound really good. Yum!

Paz

Lara said...

omg kieku taf kif qed inliegheb!!!! Nimmisjha hafna l-malta u l-ikel tajjeb li ghandna. Meta titlaq minn hemm tinduna kemm ghandna ikel tajjeb u nutrienti... Grazzi hafna ta din il-website. La mmur malta zgur ha niekol ftit minn kollox nerga!!!!
Lara

Carin said...

Translation of the above entry. Thanks to Sabine. "Oh my God, if you knew how my mouth is watering! I miss Malta a lot, and the good food we have. When you leave from there you realize how good and nutritive our food is... Thanks a lot for this website. When I go to Malta I'll eat for sure a bit of everything again!"

Steamy Bain Marie said...

my husband and I are drooling over the fried dates! well more my husband. We went to Malta two years ago for 10 days and the store was closed! He was crushed... I am thinking that the dates are not in season when we were there. So thank you very much for posting these wonderful pictures. Now my husband can salivate.

Anonymous said...

my God just i come back from Malta yes there it is WANDERFUL FOOD ,GREAT PEOPLE,AND NICE PLACES I AM WITH MY HUSBAND HE IS MALTESE HERE IN MY COUNTRY ROMANIA AND SOON WE GO TO LIVE FOR EVER I LOVE MALTA

Samwel said...

Hello I am Maltese and I just want to tell you that fried dates are always in season you can buy them whenever you want,you could even buy them frozen and then fry them yourself. They could be bought frozen from every food shop in Malta:Confectionaries,bakeries,mini markets and supermarkets.I am very sorry for you because you didn't try them they are very good.
Ċaw u saħħa lil kulħadd u proset tal-website.