Thursday, September 06, 2007

Love from Africa!

Today I had a nice surprise when I returned home from work for the postman dropped Love from Africa! on my doormat. Oh how nice to hear from my friend in Zambia who used to go to boarding school with me. It made my day!
(She is on the schoolpicture on the left, top row, fifth from the right).

My mother-in-law is very, very slowly recovering from her operation. Really hope that before long she will be able to return to her own home. But at the moment it looks as if that's going to take a long, long time for she is still very tired and sleeps most of the time. For the time being they will surely keep her in hospital.

The news here in Holland that made me smile was that a 6 is not a good mark to get anymore for an exam. Dutch students should aim at higher marks and not be satisfied with a 6 any more. Nothing wrong with that but I must say I am still very happy with the 6 I got for economics a few months ago for it made me pass that subject and now I don't have to do it again. If one applies for a job they never ask for the marks but they just ask for the certificate. So who cares?

But of course, like the good parent I am, I teased our kids by telling them that they really should go for higher marks! And if it makes them study more well there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Am off now to an information evening at primary school to see the new teacher of our youngest son. He is giving her a very hard time allready (and that after only 4 days!). So I am really curious to meet her and maybe even give her a little bit of advice.

9.30 p.m.
P.S. Just now I returned from school and must say I like his new teacher. She is only 23 years old, still young but she gives an impression of being able to manage this class.

On returning home the phone rang and it was my sister-in-law telling me her mum now also has pneunomia. They are giving her antibiotics to treat it. Please say a prayer or two for her!

1 comment:

Dina said...

Hello, I somehow found this blog and I must congratulate you on how nice your posts are. It must be very nice for you to hear from an old school friend.

Visit my website if you have time, I live in Malta and post daily photos of malta.