Friday, January 05, 2007

Maria and Gozo

When walking through a bookshop in Doetinchem this magazine caught my eye. Maria, the mother of Jesus, has a special place in my heart as the Salesian Sisters in Gozo made Mary Help of Christians well known to us. In their convents and outside there are many lovely statues of Mary Help of Christians. In fact I always carry a little medal of Mary Help of Christians with me, her statue stands on my bedside table and her picture hangs in our house.

In Gozo you can find Maria everywhere, many houses have her image near their frontdoor, you can find her in many streetcorners, her statue watches over Ramla beach and in every church you will find a special corner dedicated to Maria.

So for me Maria shall in a way always be connected to Gozo and that's what made this magazine even more special for there were several pages dedicated to Maria in Gozo. Here are some pictures to show you two pages of the magazine.











Just now I realised that today it is exactly 32 years ago that we moved to Gozo and I still remember parts of that day very well. Especially the part after arriving at Luqa airport. For those who know Malta it won't be amazing that I shall never forget the first ride, by minibus, over the island to Marfa and crossing over to Gozo, in the dark, on the Jylland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Het is een pracht verhaal .MAM